Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's just a matter of time...

This has been a hard week at Metro Kidz, five shootings in a matter of minutes within just a few miles of the church, leaving two people connected to us dead. My heart broke on Monday night when I heard about these shootings, and didn't really know what I would walk into when i met the kids last night. As they walked through the doors, specifically the teens I could tell they were all carrying a burden and had heavy hearts. One of the boys looked at me and told me about his cousin and then said, "You know Miss Colleen, it's only a matter of time before it's one of us." My heart broke right then and there, I didn't really know what my response was supposed to be, and I had to fight back the tears. It breaks my heart that my kids are walking around thinking about how their lives could end in an instant.

Aside from the heavy feeling that was lingering over us last night, I have reason to believe that last night was one of the BEST nights at Metro Kidz, I watched as six junior classes came together and worked diligently to meet a deadline and it was quiet, and each group was working together as a team as they should. The teen helpers were in there classes and we're actually doing a wonderful job of being a part of what was happening. I later heard from Pastor Mike that last night each of the teens boys were in tune with what was going on, asking good questions and really paying attention to what was happening. Mat has been doing a great job of helping Pastor Mike and I am so excited that he's joined our team!

So there are a few things that we are praying for this week:

Sunday is Friend Day we're praying for the friends that are going to be joining us, for the first time! That God will work in them and that we'll be able to reach out to them in the most effective way.

We're playing for the Jones' family, their family members lost their home in a fire recently and they've been living together, so there are 9+ people living in the same home and it's been stressful on the family.

I'm praying for our teenagers that they'll be protected in this war that is happening in our neighborhood and city right now.

thanks friends!

No comments: